Amanda Staveley has sent a strong message to Newcastle fans that the club’s promised takeover ‘WILL’ happen.
The financier joined talkSPORT on Friday to continue the calls for complete transparency from the Premier League over last year’s failed deal to buy out Mike Ashley.
Staveley’s consortium, which comprises her firm PCP Capital Partners, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund – the majority partner – and the Reuben Brothers, withdrew its offer last July after a 17-week wait for the governing body to complete its owners’ and directors’ test.
A group of around 100 Newcastle supporters made the trip down to London on Friday to stage a protest in Parliament Square against what they view as a lack of transparency from the Premier League over the collapsed takeover bid.
The case will be heard in an arbitration hearing later this month, but the club, owner Ashley and Staveley are all calling for the dispute to be held in public.
The group have even approached the UK Government to intervene, but were told to resolve the issue with Premier League.
Former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan has been critical of Staveley in the past, questioning her intentions and accusing the consortium chief of ‘looking out for herself’.
In a heated discussion live on talkSPORT, former Crystal Palace owner Simon Jordan claimed Staveley was ‘barking at the moon’ with her pleas for the government to intervene, and accused her ‘rabble rousing’ to a ‘gullible fanbase’.
But Staveley hit back at that accusation, and the labelling of the Toon Army, and responded with this defiant message to supporters:
“We are looking forward to welcoming you into St James’ Park and we’re looking forward to trying to get this transaction over the wall – and it will do.
“We are all there, we are all passionate about Newcastle, all the consortium members are, I have made that very clear in my last two interviews.”
Staveley, the consortium and Ashley have not given up on deal, and hope the verdict will allow them to rekindle the £300million takeover.
And the financier insisted they do not wish to ‘draw battle lines’ with the Premier League over the arbitration, and says the top flight should welcome the opportunity for transparency.
“I have made my points very clear to the government and I think the arbitration is key,” she explained.
“We want this transaction and we want to very much be able to invest in the club, to invest in the north, and invest in Newcastle. There’s no reason why that can’t go ahead.
“Obviously this arbitration process is critical, and I think that is why all of us want to see what is going on between the Premier League and Mike [Ashley].
“One thing I want to make clear is that we want to have good relations with the Premier League. We’re trying to become part of their institution, we’re huge fans of football at all levels, grassroots levels is very important, so we are very supportive of Mike and we hope we can be supportive of the Premier League.
“We would never have backed a European Super League plan and I am hoping in the future, there’s a way forward.
“I don’t want to draw battle lines, I just want to say: ‘Look this process is going on and we want to very much buy and invest in the club, we’d like the Premier League to run the arbitration in public, Mike would like the same, and therefore every question about how committed we were, what we want to do, it can be answered’.
“I think it is an opportunity for the Premier League to take a view that they welcome the transparency as well, because it’s easier then if there were any protests after it people can say it was run with transparency and that is important.”
Asked by Jordan if the Saudis are still there, or if they have walked away, Staveley added: “We have made our position clear, I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank the fans.
“I am so staggered by all the incredible support we have had from the fans over the last year, and many of them today are taking time out of their busy lives to travel to London.
“We’re so grateful for your support and we really think that the arbitration process should be made public so that you guys (the media) and the wonderful fans can see exactly what is going on.
“One of the greatest draws to us and the club was its fantastic fanbase.
“So I’d like to take the time to say thank you to you all.”
Earlier in the interview, Jordan accused the takeover leader: “What you are doing is rabble rousing.
“You’re getting a gullible fanbase to believe that the dynamics of what you’re trying to achieve is going to give an outcome.
“When, really, the government has been very clear – go back to the Premier League and you try to resolve this.”
Staveley responded: “Simon, we have asked the Premier League to resolve it, and they can have a vote on it, they can have a vote on providing transparency.
“All we’re saying is we want this arbitration [to be made public].
“And saying the fanbase is gullible is absolutely ridiculous.”