If Chelsea want to sign Erling Haaland this summer they’ll have to cough up and then some.
It’s widely reported that an eye-watering fee of £150million is what will prise the Norwegian hotshot away from Borussia Dortmund during this transfer window.
The Blues are one of the few clubs out there who could spend that amount of money on a single player but even by their standards it would be excessive.
If they did pay Dortmund’s reported asking price then it would smash their record fee for a player, in fact it would more than double it.
Kai Havertz (signed last summer) and Kepa Arrizabalaga (signed in summer of 2018), are tied for being the Stamford Bridge club’s record signings, Transfermarkt saying they paid £72m for their respective signatures.
Below you can see Chelsea’s top ten signings if they do get the deal done for Haaland.
Chelsea’s record signings
*Including if they sign Erling Haaland
- Erling Haaland (summer 2021) £150m
- Kai Havertz (summer 2020) £72m
- Kepa Arrizabalaga (summer 2018) £72m
- Alvaro Morata (summer 2017) £59.4m
- Christian Pulisic (winter 2019) £57.6m
- Fernando Torres (winter 2011) £52.65m
- Jorginho (summer 2018) £51.3m
- Timo Werner (summer 2020) £47.7m
- Ben Chilwell (summer 2020) £45.18m
- Mateo Kovacic (summer 2019) £40.5m
Not cheap at all. It’s perhaps no surprise that reports have emerged Chelsea will seek Robert Lewandowski instead.
The Sun says the Blues will be willing to pay a ‘paltry’ £50m for the Bayern Munich striker’s services.
Lewandowski, 32, is arguably in the form of his life having broken Gerd Muller’s record of 40 goals in a Bundesliga season.
His contract at the Allianz Arena expires in June 2023.