This year’s Notting Hill Carnival will not be held on the city’s streets, and the organizers are prioritizing “safety first”.
The Carnival organizers have said that because of the lack of time to complete the preparation of the participants, as well as the risk of the virus, they have agreed to the adoption of different methods for the carnival.
The three-day street event takes place in the heart of West London has been in place since 1966 and typically attracts two million people.
Last year, the first ever digital version of the Notting Hill Carnvial took place which was organised by radio hosts, DJ Ace, and Remel London.
It was broadcast on several channels during the August bank holiday weekend.
What Is Known So Far?
– The event will take place during the August bank holiday in Notting Hill, Westbourne Park, and parts of Kensington
– It is a spectacle of music, dance, food and drinks which dates back to the Carribean culture.
– Over the past 55 years, has grown to become the second-largest carnival in the world after the Carnival in Rio de Janeiro, brazil.
– The aim of the event is the promotion of unity and bringing people of any age together.
Safe, Luxurious, And Fun
“In making this decision, we took into account our responsibility to provide a safe, luxurious, effective, and fun carnival,” the organizers said.
Emma from Kensington and Chelsea Council, said that while the news is disappointing, the council fully supports the recent development.
“It’s very important that there is a need, for the well-being of our residents and the guests as well.
COVID In The UK
The decision to remove the event from the streets is followed by the government decision of extension of the restrictions of Covid.
Everyone was hoping for the removal of all restrictions on social distancing by the 21st of June. Now, it has been postponed to July 19.
Full details of the carnival’s alternative arrangements will be released nearer the time and the latest developments will be announced on social media and via its website.